Did you ever wonder why Catholics do these things? Now you know.
- We make the Sign of the Cross because it is the sign of our salvation. While we make it, we pray as we should always pray “in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” and to remind ourselves that we live in and with the Trinity.
- We use a crucifix (and not just a cross) to remind us visibly of the sacrifice of Jesus. He offered his flesh and blood for us – Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity.
- We pray the rosary to meditate on the lives of Jesus and Mary and to ask them to help us to imitate them in the scenes in our lives.
- We use statues of saints in much the same way that our country uses monuments of our forefathers – to have visible reminders of the heroes of our faith in Christ.
- We receive ashes at the start of Lent to proclaim a fast (as the Israelites proclaimed a fast through sackcloth and ashes) and to remind us that we are dust (and to dust we shall return).
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
Fr. Greg Shaffer
3401 Martin Luther King Jr. AVE, SE
Washington, DC 20032
Fr. Greg Cell: 240-463-9960
Outreach Center: 202-561-5941
Reach us by email: